Post Decree Motions

Divorce Lawyer in Southern Minnesota

Portrait Of Three Generation Family On Beach HolidayAlthough your divorce decree has been entered, it does not mean that your case has ended. There are many times that the individuals in a divorce will seek a further modification of the judgment and decree. Whether the modification is a child support, custody, or alimony modification, there are times when these changes must take place. Another common reason behind a modification is when one parent requests to move out-of-state with their child.

Child Support And Visitation Modifications

There are times when parenting time, or visitation, has to be modified and that could result in a child support modification since parenting time factors into the amount of child support that the non-custodial parent pays the custodial parent.

If there has been a change in circumstances, then the motion will need to be made. Perhaps the amount of parenting time needs to change or a financial change has occurred that affects how much child support the non-custodial parent pays or how much the custodial parent receives. There are many scenarios that can occur that make a modification necessary. If you feel you need to make a modification, you can consult with your Mankato post decree motions attorney about making that motion.

Motions To Move Out-Of-State

If a custodial parent acquires a job that is out-of-state, then they have to file a request with the court to make the move. The non-custodial parent can object to the move and this means that it is possible the court could rule against the move. It comes down to what is in the best interest of the child. If the move is not in the best interest of the child, then the court can rule against it. If it is in the best interest of the child and a plan for visitation can be devised, then the move may be granted. There are a number of factors that the court considers, which means that a parent looking for a better life for them and their child will not necessarily be denied the move.

Contempt Motions

The contempt motion is another reason why a post decree motion has to be made. Contempt occurs when one party has not followed through with the court order. Perhaps they stopped paying child support, alimony, or they violated another term of the divorce. If you need to file a motion for contempt or you are someone who has been accused of contempt, you need a southern Minnesota post decree motions attorney to help you through the matter so that you can have a successful conclusion.

Family Law Attorney in Mankato

Divorce is very difficult, so most people do not like the idea of having to look at the terms of their divorce decree months or years after the divorce is final. In some cases, this is necessary, especially when modifications need to be made to parenting time, child custody, and spousal support. If you need a post decree motion to be made, contact Birkholz Law, LLC at the Mankato office at 507-387-2100, the St. James office at 507-375-3374, or the Westbrook office at 507-274-6501 to schedule a free consultation.